“Hello, my name is Amy, and I’m a compulsive overeater.”
At this link http://oa12step4coes.org/questions.html you will find a list of 15 questions. If you answer “Yes” to 3 or more you are, or on your way to becoming, a compulsive overeater.
Here is how I answered the questions.
- Do you eat when you’re not hungry? Sometimes. So yes.
- Do you go on eating binges for no apparent reason? Sometimes. So yes.
- Do you have feelings of guilt and remorse after overeating? Is the pope Catholic? Yes.
- Do you give too much time and thought for food? Is “all the time” too much time? Yes.
- Do you look forward with pleasure and anticipation to the time when you can eat alone? When I’m not on my plan. So yes.
- Do you plan these secret binges ahead of time? Sometimes. So yes.
- Do you eat sensibly before others and make up for it alone? When I’m not on my plan. So yes.
- Is your weight affecting the way you live your life? It did more at 300 pounds. But considering I can’t eat/drink what everyone else does else I gain weight quickly, then yes.
- Have you tried to diet for a week (or longer), only to fall short of your goal? Until last year and Ideal Protein, yes.
- Do you resent others telling you to “use a little willpower” to stop overeating? I hate those assholes.
- Despite evidence to the contrary, have you continued to assert that you can diet “on your own” whenever you wish? Yes, however now it’s the truth because I know if I eat low-carb/no sugar I can lose weight.
- Do you crave food at a definite time, day or night, other than mealtime? Yes. Late night especially.
- Do you eat to escape from worries or trouble? 100% absolute YES.
- Have you ever been treated for obesity or a food-related condition? Yes.
- Does your eating behavior make you or others unhappy? Yes.
I answered “yes” to all 15 questions. I always was a perfectionist. Except I would rather not be a perfectionist addict.