Today I had the lovely opportunity to share a little bit of my story with some co-workers. We are doing a weekly Biggest Loser contest, and I was asked by the coordinator to share my story. So I’m copying it here. For those of you who have followed my blog, this is not new news, but thought I would post it anyway.
Amy’s “Ideal Protein” Journey
The secret is out no longer. As of today I’ve lost 72.5 pounds since May 30th, 2012. Yes, that is 126 days. No, I did not have bariatric surgery. So how have I accomplished this?
I’ve been on a program through my doctor’s office (www.womancarepc.com) called Ideal Protein (www.idealprotein.com). It’s basically carb-free and sugar-free. Yes, that means I have not had bread since May 29th, nor have I had high-carb vegetables such as potatoes, corn, or peas. I also have not had fruit or high-sugar veggies such as carrots.
No fruit??? I couldn’t live without fruit…..
I hear that comment from people the most often. However, I know I for one did not become overweight by eating fruit, and I suspect most people have not….so I think for a short period of time anyone could give up anything besides water and oxygen and some form of nutrition.
Is it safe?
Yes, it’s safe. It is medically supervised. It is not meant to be forever. The short-term imbalance you put your body through outweighs the negatives you’ve put your body through by being overweight. The program is also designed to phase you back in to “normal eating”. Phase 1 (the weight loss phase) is the phase I’m in, and is the strictest. Phase 2 and 3 prepare you for Phase 4 (maintenance). And once in maintenance you are eating all “normal foods” (nothing from the Ideal Protein program).
Basics about the program:
- You eat 3 of their products per day in Phase 1. The products average $4.00/per product.
- There are a ton of products, listed on their website (link above). There are both savory and sweet products.
- Each day you must provide your own lean protein (5-8oz) and 4 cups of “legal” vegetables per day, as well as lettuce (as much as you want), and 2 teaspoons of olive oil. So you are still eating “normal food” even on Phase 1. I have found many restaurants to be quite accommodating.
- The program works for people who have only 20 pounds to lose up through several hundred pounds to lose. Average weight loss for women is 3-5 pounds per week. Average weight loss for men is 5-7 pounds per week.
- If you are diabetic you can still do this program, however there is a modified version of it (I don’t know anything about it because I’m not on that version of it, nor do I know anyone who is).
My personal benefits:
- I’ve not had an antacid since day 4 of the program
- I’ve had probably 10% of the aspirin I used before
- My blood pressure is outstanding
- I am continually lowering the size of my “skinny jeans”
- I’ve had probably only 5-6 “I’m really irritated that I can’t eat that cake/pizza/whatever” days out of 126. What helps keep those bad days to a minimum is I know I just can’t eat it NOW, but I will again.
- I have more energy, I’m happier, and on and on and on and on
- I’ve found a great Ideal Protein online community on Sparkpeople.com, where we share recipes, good times, bad times, etc….
I’ll wrap this up by saying that I’m happy to talk to ANYONE about this program and my experience, even friends or family members of yours. Thank you for indulging me by allowing me to share some of my journey with you.